Monday, February 22, 2010

Beczala Triumphs Again

Friends,

Few people know opera like Ed Rosen, president of Premiere Opera. Ed not only heard all the greats, from the 1950s onward, but he knew what he was hearing. The problem, of course, is the drastic decline in singing quality since the 50s. However, even Ed agrees with me that in Piotr Beczala we finally, finally, have a tenor worthy of those of the past. Ed Rosen:

Bohème Tonight‏
by Ed Rosen
Sun 2/21/10 12:33 AM

[...] I thought this was one of the very best Bohème performances I have seen in many, many years. I thought the sheer opulence of the voices of both Netrebko and Beczala was both thrilling and beautiful. I think this was the finest performance Netrebko has sung at the Met, and, as I seem to say every year, her voice simply gets bigger year after year, with no pushing at all. And she sang a very dynamically nuanced Mimì. Her Act 3 was indeed heartbreaking.

I thought Beczala was excellent in ever way. This Rodolfo as sung tonight can stand with his head held high with any tenor I have ever heard in this role, and that is virtually ever tenor who has sung it at the Met for the past 50 years. Perhaps the only tenor I have heard in the past 30 plus years who might have been better was José Carreras in 1975. For me, Beczala was superb in every way. He sang the aria in key, with a soaring, easy high C, which he simply held and held. He also sang the C at the end of the love duet, and both he and Nebtrebko were wonderful here, as in just about everything they sang tonight. He sings with great feeling, some lovely soft singing, and even a small tear in the voice when called for on a few notes. The voice is beautiful and has an ample bronze-like quality to help it project. For him, and his Mimì, the Met seemed like a small theater.

[...] I am glad I have tickets to the next two performances, and can't wait to see them. I thought tonight was the best night of opera I have seen at the Met this season, and for many seasons.


Best,
Ed

Photo of Mr. Beczala © Kurt Pinter