Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Letter of Recommendation

As I was unpacking this afternoon, I came across something that choked me up a little bit. It was clearly one of the most unusual letters of recommendation ever written for me ... or for anyone.

11 February 1994

To whom it may concern:

I have known Leonard Ciampa since he was eight years old. As a musician and person he is now 94, 6, 17, and 35 years old. As an American-born, he plays our superb heritage of George Gershwin, Cole Porter, and Irving Berlin and transports us to the Spirit of that time. Leonard's theoretical knowledge through studies of Baroque, Classical, and Romantic music are unquestionably grafted to his soul and heart. Still further, Leonard's mastery and in-depth understanding, accompanying, and performing of opera are astonishing.

I clearly know that Leonard's God-given musical gifts and personal evangelistic joys and passions bring a healing peace to peoples from all walks of Life.

Sincerely,


Joseph Gabriel Maneri
Professor of Composition and Theory
New England Conservatory of Music
Boston